You know that food perform three main functions in our body.Therefore ,we should make sure to include such food in the diet which able to perform these three main function.On the basic of these functions, food may be divided into three food groups.
Energy-giving food :-
Energy giving food are come under performance food group. These group include food rich in carbohydrates and fats .Foodstuffs which provide energy in our diet are :
- Cereals like wheat,rice,jowar,bajra etc.Beside energy these provide good amounts of thiamine,niacin and iron.
- Root vegetables like potato,sweet potato,arbi etc.
- Fats and oils like groundnut oil,ghee,vanaspati,butter etc.
- Sugar,jaggery and honey.Jaggery contain good amount of iron.
- Fruit like bananaa, apple, orange .
Food also require for body building and repair of tissue.Protein rich food perform these function.
During periods of growth like childhood when body building is going on, it is important to include larger amounts of these food in our diet.Body building food which rich in protein include:
- Milk and milk product like curd, paneer, cheese, khoya, etc. These food are also good source of vitamin A, riboflavin and calcium.
- Meat, fish, poultry, liver, etc.Besides protein, these foods provide iron and B-complex vitamins.
- Eggs : Eggs are rich in iron, vitamin A and riboflavin.
- Pulses, nuts, and oilseeds: These are good source of thiamine, niacin and iron.
Protective Food :-
Certain food build up our body resistance to diseases. These function perform mainly by minerals and vitamins. As vegetables and fruits are rich in vitamins and minerals. Protective food which commonly eaten are :
- Green leafy vegetables like methi, spinach, etc.
- Yellow and orange vegetables and fruit like mango, papaya, carrot, etc.
- Vitamin C rich fruit and vegetable like orange, lemon, guava, amla, tamato (health benifits of tomato).
Lets us now plan a meal which includes food these three group. Energy giving foods may be include as chapatis or rice, potato in any form like sabzi, raita, cutlets,etc.
Fats is generally used for cooking vegetables, dhal,rotis and so on.
If a sweet dish include,sugar would also be present in the meal.
Body building food also be important. Milk may be incorporated in the meal as curd or paneer.
Animal food may be also be included in variety of ways or eggs may be used in some form.Pulses may be eaten as such or in combination with vegetables, flour,etc.