Vitamin with B-complex are group of vitamins which are present in some types of food. As they are soluble in water, they are easily lost by throwing the water in which food has been soaked or cooked. There are composed of eight B-vitamin which are following ;
- Vitamin B1 or Thiamine
- Vitamin B2 or Riboflavin
- Vitamin B3 or Niacin
- Vitamin B5 or Pantothenic acid
- Vitamin B6 or pyridine
- Vitamin B7 or biotin
- Vitamin B9 or Folic acid
- Vitamin B12 or Cobalamin
What are the Source :-
- Whole cereals, pulses and nuts are good sources of thiamine and niacin.
- Fermented and sprouted food like dosa dosa, idli, sprouted pulses, etc. Are also rich in these vitamins.
- Animal food like eggs, liver, and kidney are very good sources of B-complex vitamins.
- Milk and its products are especially important for riboflavin. They also have a precursor which gets converted in the body to niacin.
- Green leafy vegetables, like methi, spinach, and bathua are a good source of riboflavin and folic acid.
B-complex Vitamin Benifits :-
The B-complex vitamin are essential for normal growth and development. They are important for the healthy functioning of vital organ, like the heart, nerves and brain and also for healthy skin, eyes and gastrointestinal tract. Vitamin B12 and folic acid are important in the normal formation of the red blood cells in our body.
Other than B-complex group other vitamin also very important to health.
Effect of deficiency :-
The deficiency of vitamin B12 or thiamine leads to a diseases called Beri-Beri. It also leads to weakness of the legs and a burning sensation in the body. If not treated the disease also affect the heart which can finally lead to death.
Deficiency of B² or riboflavin leads to lesions at the angles of the month (angular stomatitis ) inflammation of the tongue (glossitis) and dry chapped lips with ulcers (cheilosis).
The deficiency of Vitamins B³ or niacin leads to a diseases called pellagra. The person gets diarrhoea and the tongue swollen and red. There is itching and burning of the skin especially on those portions which are exposed to the sun and where there is friction at the elbows and neckline. The skin on these areas get dys-pigmented. Also, the person is mentally depressed, confused and has poor memory. If the diseases is not treated in time, it can cause death.
In the deficiency of folic acid and vitamin B12 the red blood cells are not formed and this causes Anaemia. The person becomes pale and gets tired and breathless even on walking for a short duration.