Before discuss what is function of blood. We need to know its basic nature. Blood is main fluid of body. An adult person have 4-6 liters of blood. Near 6-8 present of body weight is blood. The study of blood is calledhaematology.Now know about the function of blood.
What is The Function of Blood
The blood play very important role in body. Without blood absence of life. So blood is called river of life. Blood contain various constituents. Every constituent have a specific function.
Function of Blood Plasma
The blood plasma have following function
- Transport of Food : Food material such as glucose, amino acids, fatty acid, vitamins and mineral salts are carried by plasma. These are carries from alimentary canal and liver to all tissues of body. The growth, repair and energy all are maintain by these food material.
- Transport of Oxygen : Small amount of oxygen is carried by plasma. Its from lungs to tissues for oxidation of food.
- Transport of Carbon Dioxide : Plasma collect Carbon dioxide from the tissue and carries it to lungs for elimination from the body.
- Transport of Waste Product : Plasma carries nitrogenous wastes, such as urea, uric acid and creatinine. Its from the liver and tissue to the kidney for removal in the urine.
- Transport of Hormone : The endocrine glands secrete their hormone directly into the blood. Which carries them target organs.
- Supply of Raw Material : Plasma supplies raw material to the glands for the preparation of their products.
- Regulation of Water Balance : Plasma regulates the water balance of body. It supplies water to tissue and receive excess water formed in metabolic process.
- Regulation of pH : Plasma help to regulate the pH of body fluids. It contains buffer materials such as protein and mineral salts. Which can neutralize the acids and base entering the blood.
- Regulation of Body Temperature : plasma carries heat from heat producing tissues. Transfar there need of heat or where it can be dissipated.
- Immunity : Antibodies present in plasma provide immunity against certain diseases.
Function of Blood Cells
- Transport of Oxygen : RBC carrie oxygen bound to haemoglobin as oxyhaemoglobin from the lungs to the tissue for oxidation of food to release energy.
- Transport of Carbon Dioxide : Blood cells carrie a small amount of Co2 as carbo haemoglobin from tissue to lungs for removal from body.
- WBC Function : The white blood cells acts as soldier and builders of body. They help to scar formation after injury to heal the wounds. They also form collagen and elastin fibres.
- Platelets Function : Clotting of blood help to save life after any injury. The platelets play a vital role in blood clotting.